For those who have little or no sight and hearing, learning to communicate, to make yourself understood, or hear other people speaking is very difficult – and can be isolating.

In a crowded room a sighted hearing person sees who is talking to them and hears what they are saying. A deaf person may use their vision to lipread what others are saying. But if they lose their sight as well, how will they know someone is trying to communicate and what they are trying to say?

As a Carer of someone with a Sensory Impairment, you have a uniquely challenging role to perform. Instead of sight and hearing, the senses of touch, body awareness, balance, taste and smell are used to give the person you care for access to information, develop communication, and understand the world. (Source – Sense website 2014).

The person you care for may find their isolation frustrating, especially if the reason for the sensory impairment is not a lifelong condition. They may have previously been used to living an independent and socially rich life and now they can’t. This is something that both you, the Carer and the person you care fore will need to work through, as you will now have someone who is very dependent on you, and is the level of dependency is likely to increase as time goes on.

Finding support groups and clubs where new skills can be learned, support and social interaction can be given is often key to coping with the challenge you both face.

Information – we can provide information about support and services available and Carers’ entitlements and rights.

Support – we offer a listening ear, support groups, activities and training for Carers.

Carer’s Needs Assessment – we carry out Carer’s Needs Assessments on behalf of the local authority.

Kent Carer’s Emergency Card – we administer this free service to provide peace of mind when you are away from the person you care for.

Health and Wellbeing – we offer health and wellbeing sessions to Carers and work with GP’s to identify and support Carers’ own health and wellbeing.

Assistance with Welfare Benefits – you may be entitled to Carer’s Allowance and the person you care for may be entitled to Personal Independence Payment.

contact us

If you are caring for someone with a Sensory Impairment, we can provide you with support, information and access to services

If you would like more information or support from us, please contact us by e-mail, or telephone on 01304 364637.
contact us