Caring for someone with a Learning Disability
Carers of people with learning disabilities are often unique amongst Carers. Many will experience a lifetime of caring for a son, daughter or sibling with learning disabilities. People with learning disabilities are people first. There are around 1.5 million people in the UK with learning disabilities. These impairments are present when a baby is born or acquired shortly afterwards.
Information – we can provide information about support and services available and Carers’ entitlements and rights.
Support – we offer a listening ear, support groups, activities and training for Carers.
Carer’s Needs Assessment – we carry out Carer’s Needs Assessments on behalf of the local authority.
Kent Carer’s Emergency Card – we administer this free service to provide peace of mind when you are away from the person you care for.
Health and Wellbeing – we offer health and wellbeing sessions to Carers and work with GP’s to identify and support Carers’ own health and wellbeing.
Assistance with Welfare Benefits – you may be entitled to Carer’s Allowance and the person you care for may be entitled to Personal Independence Payment.
- Mencap Mencap is a UK learning disability charity working with people with learning disabilities and their families and Carers. Mencap
- The Challenging Behaviour Foundation Charity for people with severe learning disabilities whose behaviour challenges. Making a difference to the lives of children and adults across the UK through:
• information about challenging behaviour
• peer support for family carers and professionals
• supporting families by phone or email
• running workshops to reduce challenging behaviour
• speaking up for families nationally
Our vision is for anyone with severe learning disabilities who displays challenging behaviour to have the same life opportunities as everyone else. We work to improve understanding of challenging behaviour, empower families with information and support, and help others to provide better services and more opportunities. The Challenging Behaviour Foundation
- The Foundation for people with Learning Disabilities Our work influences government and local authority policies and services so that they better meet the needs of people with learning disabilities, their families and carers. We also raise awareness of learning disability issues amongst the wider public, in order to breakdown stigma and discrimination. We aim to break down the economic and social barriers and prejudices that people with learning disabilities face throughout their lives, as well as providing information, resources and services that can help them lead fuller, more independent lives. Central to our work is our involvement of people with learning disabilities, their families and carers themselves. Their insight, advice and experiences is crucial to the research we undertake to inform our policy, public information and service improvement work.
The Foundation for people with Learning Disabilities
- British Institute of Learning Disabilities A charity which exists to improve the quality of life of all people with a learning disability. British Institute of Learning Disabilities